Leading up to the historic summit between President Trump and Kim Jong-un, North Korea has announced they will be dismantling their nuclear facilities. After heated exchanges between the President and Kim Jong-un on Twitter, North Korea changed course and historically met with South Korea. North Korea has invited foreign journalists and nuclear experts specifically from South Korea and the United States to take part.
Reported from the BBC:
“Pyongyang said it was taking “technical measures” to carry out the process between 23-25 May, North Korean state news agency KCNA reported on Saturday. Scientists previously said the site may have partially collapsed in September.
The move is due to take place three weeks before US President Donald Trump meets North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. In April, South Korean officials said Mr. Kim had stated he “would carry out the closing of the nuclear test site in May”, adding that nuclear experts from South Korea and the US would be invited to watch.
The dismantling of the Punggye-ri site, the exact date of which will depend on weather conditions, will involve the collapsing of all tunnels using explosives and the removal of all observation facilities, research buildings and security posts.”
There is still a long way to go and President Trump has often stated the same. So far, things have been going very well as North Korea continues to show signs of commitment to scrapping their nuclear program.
Next up, the world will be glued into seeing what kind of deal President Trump can produce with North Korea.